EUROPE ROAD CYCLING TOUR – Barcelona to Rome
BARCELONA TO ROME CYCLING TOUR – 29 DAYS
- European Lifestyle Tour
- 29 Days Barcelona to Rome
- Price Range: Starting from $9933 NZD
This Europe Road Cycling Tour from Barcelona to Rome has it all – Three countries, many rivers, lakes, mountains and some of cycling’s grandest passes.
Over the course of one month, you will pass through some of best scenery around the Mediterranean coastline, cross famous mountain passes of the Pyrenees, and experience some very scenic hill riding in the southern foothills of the French Alps — Les Alpes Maritime. The rides through the Italian mountain ranges and Tuscany have their own world-renowned flavor, and will be the final highlight of the tour.
You will also soak up the culture and architecture of Barcelona, Carcassonne, Pisa, Siena, Florence, and other historic villages and cities. You’ll stay in carefully selected hotels and B&Bs. This tour is not about 5-star luxury hotels, it is about getting to know the local people and their culture. You will spend most of the nights in small villages, and on rest days we have selected locations that can serve as a base for further exploration. You will enjoy great local cuisine throughout.
Cycling is mainly on quiet sealed backroads with varying terrain. The itinerary will feature everything from flattish coastal roads to rolling hills, as well as some mountain stages. Daily distances average around 100 km, with a few longer and shorter days. If you’d prefer less cycling, our support vehicle is always available.
FITNESS AND PREPARATION
- GRADE 4 – HARD TOURS
Hard tours are designed for the more experienced participants wishing to push themselves and take on new challenges. Routes will include longer climbs and will require technical skills.
- FITNESS REQUIRED
A high level of fitness is required and you will need to exercise four or five times a week during the build up to the tour.
THE TOUR INCLUDES:
- 28 Nights in a 2 / 4 Star Hotel (Double on Twin Share)
- Breakfast at the hotel, picnic lunch and dinner at a restaurant on cycling days
- Support vehicles and luggage transport, according to the group size
- Two experienced guides: one English speaking cycling guide and one driver guide
- Travel documents including maps and detailed itinerary
THE TOUR EXCLUDES:
- International and domestic flights or airport taxes
- Passport and travel visa (if required)
- Arrival and departure transfers
- Bike hire (limited availability)
- Personal expenses and drinks
- Travel insurance
- DAY 1 – Arrival Day: Barcelona – No cycling
You will be met at the airport and transferred to your hotel. You can build your bike and meet fellow travelers before our group meeting.
- DAY 2 – Barcelona to Platja d’Aro near Palamós – Cycling/Elevation: 117 km/1400 m
Itinerary: Barcelona, Costa Brava, Palamós – our destination. You will stay in Platja d’Aro, a beach resort about 8 km south of Palamós.
- DAY 3 – Platja d’Aro to Sant Feliu de Pallerols – Cycling/Elevation: 80 km/1400 m
Itinerary: Platja d’Aro, Girona, the Pyrenees, Sant Feliu de Pallerols.
- DAY 4 – Sant Feliu de Pallerols via Olot to Puigcerdà – Cycling/Elevation: 106 km/2400 m
Itinerary: Olot, Ripoll, the Pyrenees, Collade de Tosas, Puigcerdà.
- DAY 5 – Puigcerdà to Mercus-Garrabet – Cycling/Elevation: 100 km/1600 m
Itinerary: Puigcerdà, Col de Puymorens, Ax-les-Thermes, Mercus-Garrabet.
- DAY 6 – Rest Day: Mercus-Garrabet – Cycling/Elevation: 93 km/2000 m (optional)
- DAY 7 – Mercus-Garrabet to Carcassonne – Cycling/Elevation: 96 km/1100 m
- DAY 8 – Carcassonne to Sète – Cycling/Elevation: 141 km/800 m
Itinerary: Carcassonne, Béziers, Canal du Midi, Agde, Étang de Thau (Lagoon), Sète.
- DAY 9 – Rest Day: Sète – No cycling
- DAY 10 – Sète to Arles – Cycling/Elevation: 111 km/450 m
Itinerary: Montpellier, Aigues-Mortes, Camargue, Arles.
- DAY 11 – Arles to Carpentras – Cycling/Elevation: 110 km/1300 m
Itinerary: Arles, Provence, Gordes, Murs, Sénanque Abbey, Carpentras.
- DAY 12 – “Active Rest” Day: Carpentras – Cycling/Elevation: 84 km/2200 m (optional)
- DAY 13 – Carpentras to Riez – Cycling/Elevation: 136 km/1700 m
Itinerary: Goult, Apt, Céreste, Alpes-de-Hautes-Provence, Manosque, Riez.
- DAY 14 – Riez to La Matre – Cycling/Elevation: 90 km/2200 m
Itinerary: Riez, Lac de Sainte Croix, La Matre, Hotel Château de Taulane – our destination.
- DAY 15 – Rest Day: La Matre – No cycling
- DAY 16 – La Matre to Saint-Sauveur-sur-Tinée – Cycling/Elevation: 108 km/2800 m
Itinerary: Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Entrevaux, Guillaume, Valberg, Saint-Sauveur, Isola, Roure Saint-Sauveur – our destination.
- DAY 17 – Saint-Sauveur-sur-Tinée to Gaiola – Cycling/Elevation: 80 km/2000 m
Itinerary: Isola, Col de la Lombarde, Gaiola.
- DAY 18 – Gaiola to Acqui Terme – Cycling/Elevation: 130 km/1200 m
Itinerary: Gaiola, Cortemilia, Acqui Terme – our destination.
- DAY 19 – Acqui Terme to Genoa – Cycling/Elevation: 94 km/2000 m
Itinerary: Piedmont, Liguria, the Italian Riviera in Genoa, Urbe, Masone, Genoa.
- DAY 20 – Rest Day in Genoa – No cycling
- DAY 21 – Genoa to Cavi – Cycling/Elevation: 91 km/1500 m
Itinerary: Genoa, Cavi (de Lavagna) – our destination.
- DAY 22 – Cavi to Lerici – Cycling/Elevation: 110 km/3000 m
Itinerary: Cavi, La Spezia, Lerici – our destination.
- DAY 23 – Lerici to Pisa – Cycling/Elevation: 148 km/2500 m
Itinerary: Tuscany, Molongo, Lucca, Pisa – our destination.
- DAY 24 – Rest Day: Pisa – No cycling
- DAY 25 – Pisa to Siena – Cycling/Elevation: 116 km/1700 m
Itinerary: San Gimignano, San Gimignano, Siena – our destination.
- DAY 26 – Siena to Castiglione del Lago – Cycling/Elevation: 80 km/1000 m
- DAY 27 – Castiglione del Lago to Terni – Cycling/Elevation: 117 km/1300 m
Itinerary: Bastardo, Terni (“City of Lovers”) – our destination.
- DAY 28 – Terni to Rome – Cycling/Elevation: 112 km/1200 m
- DAY 29 – Departure: Rome – No cycling